A way to filter out 100% matches to review for quality before accepting a job?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2013

When I'm offered a job with a significant number of 100% matches, I want to ensure they are of high quality or at the very least assess the time it'll take to deal with them properly. What software can I use to do that? My CAT tool of choice is Trados Studio 2011 (and I also have Trados 2007), but I haven't figured out so far how to do that in either. I would like to get both generic and Trados-specific advice, hence posting here and not in the Trados support forum.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:27
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Generic advice Nov 30, 2013

Just scroll down and inspect the matches. Be extra careful after the first real mistake. Become really suspicious after two more mistakes. By then, contact the PM and negociate whether you should propagate the mistakes or redo everything. I hope I'll have retired by the time automated QA can do this.

Cheers,
Gerard

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't mean automated check though Nov 30, 2013

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Just scroll down and inspect the matches. Be extra careful after the first real mistake. Become really suspicious after two more mistakes. By then, contact the PM and negociate whether you should propagate the mistakes or redo everything. I hope I'll have retired by the time automated QA can do this.

Cheers,
Gerard

Well, what I meant was the ability to only look at 100% matches, not checking them automatically. (If software can successfully check 100% matches for quality, human translators are not needed at all.)

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
Finnish to French
memoQ advice Dec 1, 2013

I'm assuming your 100% matches come with a TM and that the target language column of your document(s) has not been populated yet. If so, here is what you can do in memoQ:

1. You can pretranslate your document(s), applying (if you want) only exact (= 100%) matches:

2. You can isolate (filter) only 100% matches:

There are several types of 100% matches you can distinguish between. 101% matches wouldn't apply to your case if the TM does not originate from memoQ, but multiple vs. single 100% matches could very well apply. Multiple 100% matches would need special attention, since the match populated during pretranslation isn't necessarily the most suitable (in the absence of context, memoQ has no way to determine the one most likely to suit).

Of course, isolating 100% matches isn't necessarily a good idea: in order to assess the suitability of these matches, you may need to see preceding and following segments, in order to have context information. This is especially true with very short segments.

Wouldn't Studio support a similar workflow?!

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Dominique, I now know what to do Dec 1, 2013

Thank you, Dominique! Now I suddenly understand that my question was silly, because it's all rather straightforward: I just have to pre-translate using 100% matches, filter by "translated" status, and voila! And Studio does support that. But somehow it hadn't come to my mind before you suggested your memoQ solution. As for the context for 100% matches, it sure is important, but not really necessary in my opinion for the first rough assessment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A way to filter out 100% matches to review for quality before accepting a job?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »