Thread poster: Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:36
Arabic to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2006

I use the Al-Mawrid Dictionary CD-ROM on a Windows XP French and English OS. The CD-ROM stopped working recently. According to the publisher's website: http://www.elariss.com/en/index.html, the error may occur following a Windows Update. Ariss provides a patch to correct the problem. This patch does not solve the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, have you foun
... See more
I use the Al-Mawrid Dictionary CD-ROM on a Windows XP French and English OS. The CD-ROM stopped working recently. According to the publisher's website: http://www.elariss.com/en/index.html, the error may occur following a Windows Update. Ariss provides a patch to correct the problem. This patch does not solve the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, have you found a solution?

Thank you,
Michael
Collapse

Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work on Windows XP English SP2 and Windows Vista English (in XP SP2 mode) Mar 13, 2007

I first notified El-Ariss of these problems over a year ago, yet their website still has the same ineffective patch. Worse, the dictionary is still distributed all over Cairo (and probably elsewhere).

Drabdulla
Drabdulla
Qatar
Local time: 19:36
Arabic to English
+ ...
The same Problem Aug 18, 2007

The CD rom is not working on windows vista. There was no response from company though I tried to conatct them many times.

Joehitti
Joehitti  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 12:36
Arabic to English
+ ...
Al-Mawrid 2002 CD problem Jan 9, 2008

I bought the dictionary (it came with the CD) a couple of years ago. The book contained a large chunk of missing pages. It took me seveal months and a lot of threatening to discredit the dictionary and the house, and I had people on the ground (in Beirut) pressuring them, and finally they agreed to exchange the bad book with a good one (but the process required people carrying the old book back and going in person to pick up the new one...).

Then I tried installing the CD (Windows X
... See more
I bought the dictionary (it came with the CD) a couple of years ago. The book contained a large chunk of missing pages. It took me seveal months and a lot of threatening to discredit the dictionary and the house, and I had people on the ground (in Beirut) pressuring them, and finally they agreed to exchange the bad book with a good one (but the process required people carrying the old book back and going in person to pick up the new one...).

Then I tried installing the CD (Windows XP - English), but I get one error message at first (Can't find SHELL.DLL), but that does not prevent the program to load and install. But when I try to open it, I get another error message (can't see or find ...maw02.exe). I gave up on the CD a while back, then I found it again and tried again, and the same problem.

I found your exchange and thought I'd add my own two cents worth to see if there is a way around these issues. I downloaded a new SHELL.DLL , thinking something was wrong with my own system, but it did not fix the problem.

What a typical "screw the customer" attitude by this typical Arab monopoly. And they have the gall to talk about customer service.

Joe Hitti
Collapse

Amal Ibrahim
Amal Ibrahim  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Arabic
Try the patch file (ArissPatch.exe) Jan 11, 2008

Hello Joe,

I think you need to download the patch file to run the dictionary under Windows XP SP2. You can download it from http://www.elariss.com/index.php

Regards
Amal

Amal Ibrahim
Amal Ibrahim  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Arabic
It worked for me.. Jan 11, 2008

I have the 2002 version. It worked fine with Windows XP Home Edition. Under Windows XP SP2, it only worked after I run the patch.

Amal

HAB
HAB
Danish to Arabic
Mawrid win xp SP2 non arabic os Apr 21, 2008

I know that this topic is quite old, but better late than never)

I had this problem as well, 2 things to check:

1) (for win xp service pack 2) get the hotfix KB884020

2) that arabic (lebanon) is the default language for non-unicode programs.

that should do the trick

regards
HAB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Al-Mawrid 2005 CD-ROM on non-Arabic OS

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »