Words you hate to translateً
Thread poster: Nesrin
Mohammed Mousa
Mohammed Mousa
Local time: 18:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
other annoying words Apr 19, 2008

I agree with all those vexing words you have mentinoed and I would like to add the following:
service
background
Check
potential
review
prospective

[Edited at 2008-04-19 17:10]

yelhajj
yelhajj
Local time: 19:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
my translation nightmare May 4, 2008

usually I have hard times translating some computer terms such as:

router, server, firewall, worm... etc.
(although I have translations for them yet they never seem convicing enough)

Of course many other terms are as "problematic", you only don't recall them when you need to.

Remark: I think to make the thread more useful, that if anyone has an appropriate meaning of the posted
... See more
usually I have hard times translating some computer terms such as:

router, server, firewall, worm... etc.
(although I have translations for them yet they never seem convicing enough)

Of course many other terms are as "problematic", you only don't recall them when you need to.

Remark: I think to make the thread more useful, that if anyone has an appropriate meaning of the posted terms, they should list it here and it would be more fun.
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Many of the aboveِ May 8, 2008

beside words provided in a TM that you are asked to stick to:
For example, I have started a translation project 5 months ago for which I receive regular monthly files and where the translation of "county" is provided as "كاونتي", what's wrong with "مقاطعة" ?

Mariam

[Edited at 2008-05-08 01:42]

Raphael Schory
Raphael Schory
English to Arabic
+ ...
Being dynamic is the key Jun 4, 2008

Like a first time diver closing his eyes and jumping into the deep, dark, cold water, so is the matter with translation of words like those which almost everybody here has mentioned. These are mostly English words that has widened their original meaning to become more broader meaning terms, or words that have entered a specific jargon and got adjusted to it.

The "common denominator" of all these words are their versatility and flexibility. One can not, usually, give a specific stab
... See more
Like a first time diver closing his eyes and jumping into the deep, dark, cold water, so is the matter with translation of words like those which almost everybody here has mentioned. These are mostly English words that has widened their original meaning to become more broader meaning terms, or words that have entered a specific jargon and got adjusted to it.

The "common denominator" of all these words are their versatility and flexibility. One can not, usually, give a specific stable definition to represent the exact one and only meaning of almost all of there words.

The unavoidable conclusion is that just as the English language is *very* dynamic, so must be the Arabic. Sometimes, the translator just has to close his eyes shut and choose a word that was not originally associated with the meaning he intends to give it, but now it will become for the first and not the last time...

The interesting thing about it is that the renewal of words uses is probably done mostly by the people in the field, not by translators, because of the extreme caution translators take when translating.

Moreover, and especialy when it comes to technical translation, translators intend to explain the source term instead of translating it and thus giving birth to the new Arabic parallel term.

One pretty example which I have encountered is the term "blade computer". The translator which has got the job translated it as: "كمبيوتر متعدد الملقمات", namely explaining the term. I did not need it explained, but translated. The reason for naming this kind of computer "blade" applies to the Arabic as well as to the English term, and so, really, did the people "in the fild" translate: "كمبيوتر نصلي". Actually, they took and Arabic word which is equivallent to the English word "blade", and applied it to the Arabic term. This is OK and the best thing to do, in my opinion.
Moreover, one must remember that the word "blade" in English, too, has broadened its original meaning to represent that of the blade computers.
But this is only an example.

It is right that there are noisy words which are of less a specific meaning, like many words mentioned in this post, but I think that with just a little bit of virtuosity, one can handle them perfectly.

Have a good luck
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words you hate to translateً

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »