Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:20
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
May 27, 2005

Hello.
I am sorry for posting in English. I have a question on the pronunciation of two names (it's not a translation question so I didn't post on KudoZ). I'm reading the book "Kalilah and Dimnah" in English. I'd like to find out how these names are pronounced in Arabic. Is the stress on the last syllable or the penultimate? If it's on the last syllable, is the "h" pronounced? (ex. like the Greek chi)

And in general when I see Arabic names transcribed in English with an
... See more
Hello.
I am sorry for posting in English. I have a question on the pronunciation of two names (it's not a translation question so I didn't post on KudoZ). I'm reading the book "Kalilah and Dimnah" in English. I'd like to find out how these names are pronounced in Arabic. Is the stress on the last syllable or the penultimate? If it's on the last syllable, is the "h" pronounced? (ex. like the Greek chi)

And in general when I see Arabic names transcribed in English with an h at the end, are they usually stressed on a particular syllable or not necessarily?

Thank you very much in advance.
Maria
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
ka-LEEl-a, DIM-na May 28, 2005

Maria Karra wrote:

"Kalilah and Dimnah" ... Is the stress on the last syllable or the penultimate? If it's on the last syllable, is the "h" pronounced? (ex. like the Greek chi)

In KALILAH, the stress is on the second syllable. In DIMNAH, the stress is on the first syllable. There is no real H in either name. Both names end with silent T (written, but not pronuounced).

Maria Karra wrote:

when I see Arabic names transcribed in English with an h at the end, are they usually stressed on a particular syllable or not necessarily?

As you can see from the two examples above, there is no single general rule.

But one more point: Not every final H in a phonetic Latin rendition functions the same way. Sometimes it is in lieu of a silent T (as in FATIMAH), but sometimes it is a real H, as in NABEEH.

And sometimes the H stands for the sixth letter of the alphabet, which is softer than the German CH, as in the name AFRAH.

The bottom line is that there is no simple rule of the thumb.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:20
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 28, 2005

Thanks so much, Fuad, for the clear explanation.
Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pronunciation of two names

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »