Jamal Alsamarrai
Jamal Alsamarrai
Australia
Local time: 12:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 6, 2010

Dear linguists,

Did any of you have ever used any good Arabic dictation software? I don't like typing and would love to have a good software for dictation of Arabic directly into Microsoft Word.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Jamal

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 05:28
German to Arabic
+ ...
IBM ViaVoice Jun 6, 2010

Dear Jamal

IBM ViaVoice was the only stand-alone product produced to the market back in 1999. But it was stopped a long time ago, as IBM sold the whole ViaVoice product with all the languages to a company called Naunce, which neither developed it further nor sells the Arabic version any more.
www.nuance.com

About the Arabic version of ViaVoice:
It wasn't bad, in many cases it h
... See more
Dear Jamal

IBM ViaVoice was the only stand-alone product produced to the market back in 1999. But it was stopped a long time ago, as IBM sold the whole ViaVoice product with all the languages to a company called Naunce, which neither developed it further nor sells the Arabic version any more.
www.nuance.com

About the Arabic version of ViaVoice:
It wasn't bad, in many cases it helped saving some time, but I was needing more and more development to get more practical.

With Word it was very slow and there were many crashed in short sequences. I used it only in Notepad to avoid the very slow performance. It could save only about 25%-40% of the time, as one had to review the whole text very carefully and copy from Notepad into other applications.

So, till now, there no other possibility for Arabic. For other languages, now there is Dragon Naturally speaking.
(You can check with Sakhr, but most probably, they don't have a stand-alone product. And as usual such linguistic product are very very expensive for individuals.)

Thanks and best regards
Your ATT
Collapse

Jamal Alsamarrai
Jamal Alsamarrai
Australia
Local time: 12:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ATT team - Arabic dictation software Jun 6, 2010

Dear ATT team,

Thank you very much for your prompt response and clarification. It is a shame that Arabic has no such a dictation software.

Anyway, thank you again for the time put to reply to my query.

Thanks and best regards

Jamal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic dictation software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »