Nadia Ayoub
Nadia Ayoub  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I was translating a technical text and some labels for industrial products (paint drying ovens). I also translated symbols such as "Kw, m3/h, °C, V, Phs and Hz". The client is wondering whether these international symbols should remain untranslated, and I have no idea what the rule is.

If you are specialized in technical translation, you have certainly more experience than me regarding this issue. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I was translating a technical text and some labels for industrial products (paint drying ovens). I also translated symbols such as "Kw, m3/h, °C, V, Phs and Hz". The client is wondering whether these international symbols should remain untranslated, and I have no idea what the rule is.

If you are specialized in technical translation, you have certainly more experience than me regarding this issue. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Collapse

Sorour
Sorour
Local time: 20:38
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
International units symbol and arabic translation Apr 8, 2010

It's right that international symbols should remain untranslated, and there's a best way using Both International units symbol and arabic translation/symbol:

KW (كلواط)
V (فولت)

etc

Nadia Ayoub
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Apr 8, 2010

Thank you Sorour for you prompt reply, I will follow your advice and use both!

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Translation preferred Apr 8, 2010

The normal practice is to translate units of measure. That is what all of my technical translation clients (automotive, IT, and education) require. Their style guides also discourage abbreviating Arabic unit names, except for those whose abbreviation is widely used, such as سم , كم, and كجم.

The one exception I have seen is in the case of a particular client for whom I translated automotive engineering course handouts. The rule here was to translate units of measure when they
... See more
The normal practice is to translate units of measure. That is what all of my technical translation clients (automotive, IT, and education) require. Their style guides also discourage abbreviating Arabic unit names, except for those whose abbreviation is widely used, such as سم , كم, and كجم.

The one exception I have seen is in the case of a particular client for whom I translated automotive engineering course handouts. The rule here was to translate units of measure when they appear inside the text, and to keep them in English when they appear in equations, because the guidelines required that equations stay in English.
Collapse

Nadia Ayoub
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Apr 8, 2010

Thank you Alaa, there seems to be no agreement on the matter!

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
English to Arabic
Agree Apr 9, 2010

Sorour Slimane wrote:

It's right that international symbols should remain untranslated, and there's a best way using Both International units symbol and arabic translation/symbol:

KW (كلواط)
V (فولت)

etc

I agree with you, although sometimes I only use the "English" symbols.

Nadia Ayoub
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Ali Apr 9, 2010

I would like to inform you that the client has opted to leave these symbols untranslated.

I also would like to thank all of you who tried to help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International Symbols

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »