duraid
duraid
Australia
Local time: 04:51
Arabic to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2008

Hi:
I am planning on sitting the NAATI Professional Translator test in Brisbane within few months. So how hard is the test and is it important to order the test kit?
Is there anyone here who already sat for Arabic-English and English-Arabic tests of NAATI?

Any other advices regarding the test are sincerely welcomed

Regards
Duraid

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-08-02 05:07]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
Quite simple Aug 2, 2008

Hi Duraid,
My memory is terrible and I sat this test about 9 years ago so I can't really tell you much detail. But all I can remember is that you had to translate two different types of texts (I think), with the aid of dictionaries, each of them about half a page long. It was quite simple and I did well (I was worried the assessment would be too harsh, but it wasn't).
Good luck

(Oh and wait for the opinions of other collea
... See more
Hi Duraid,
My memory is terrible and I sat this test about 9 years ago so I can't really tell you much detail. But all I can remember is that you had to translate two different types of texts (I think), with the aid of dictionaries, each of them about half a page long. It was quite simple and I did well (I was worried the assessment would be too harsh, but it wasn't).
Good luck

(Oh and wait for the opinions of other colleagues with better memories or who sat the test more recently )

[Edited at 2008-08-02 08:49]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 06:51
Chinese to English
Eligibility, timing, language requirements, ethics Aug 3, 2008

Hi Duraid

My language is Chinese -> English.
When I sat NAATI there were several steps first, it took time to liaise.
An eligibility requirement - university degree or equivalent.
People fail. I had to resit.
I had to translate from two different scripts, Simplified and Complex.
The texts - general topics, you get a choice, you translated 2, I think, in 2 hours.
There is an ethics section.
I would advise getting the kit.
... See more
Hi Duraid

My language is Chinese -> English.
When I sat NAATI there were several steps first, it took time to liaise.
An eligibility requirement - university degree or equivalent.
People fail. I had to resit.
I had to translate from two different scripts, Simplified and Complex.
The texts - general topics, you get a choice, you translated 2, I think, in 2 hours.
There is an ethics section.
I would advise getting the kit.

If you search the Forums, you might find more information.

Best wishes

Lesley
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
As well... Aug 6, 2008

you can take as many reference books and dictionaries as you like to the test. Don't over do it though (It's very bad for your back and won't help you a bit). I am not sure if you are allowed to use an electronic dictionary, you may have to ask NAATI beforehand.

If you have not had much contact with other NAATI translators in your language, it may be wise to attend a language specific NAATI workshop. You will be asked to translate 2 passages which are then marked according to NAATI
... See more
you can take as many reference books and dictionaries as you like to the test. Don't over do it though (It's very bad for your back and won't help you a bit). I am not sure if you are allowed to use an electronic dictionary, you may have to ask NAATI beforehand.

If you have not had much contact with other NAATI translators in your language, it may be wise to attend a language specific NAATI workshop. You will be asked to translate 2 passages which are then marked according to NAATI guidelines.

The other benefit of this is that you will know if you need to adjust your Arabic as the person who is going to mark your test paper may speak a somewhat slightly different version of Arabic.

Good luck.
Collapse

duraid
duraid
Australia
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 13, 2008

Thank you very much for the advices. I really appreciate it

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
The ethics bit is paramount Sep 13, 2008

..because if you fail that, you fail the test, no matter how good a translator you are. Also, be very careful of slippage into vernacular, or of anything that can remotely indicate which part of the ME you come from, and don't ask me why We are firm believers in the colourless, bland Modern Standard LOL.

My suggestion is that you join AUSIT (there is a chapter in each state), and get someone to mentor you. Difficult,
... See more
..because if you fail that, you fail the test, no matter how good a translator you are. Also, be very careful of slippage into vernacular, or of anything that can remotely indicate which part of the ME you come from, and don't ask me why We are firm believers in the colourless, bland Modern Standard LOL.

My suggestion is that you join AUSIT (there is a chapter in each state), and get someone to mentor you. Difficult, but not impossible. Feel free to contact me if you'd like more info.

A short preparatory TAFE course is also good, because you get to do the exam trials and get them checked by people who know what they are doing.

Good luck!
Collapse

duraid
duraid
Australia
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 15, 2008

Thank very much Sam for your informative reply. I think I will join a short course with TAFE before I sit for NAATI test.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic/English NAATI Professional Translator test in Australia

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »