ChatGPT, we need to talk.
Thread poster: Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:58
English to German
Dec 13, 2022

I consider ChatGPT a major technological breakthrough. It isn't that good (yet) as a translation tool, but it's also not even primarily a translation tool. Translation is just one of the things it happens to be able to do. Also, keep in mind that the answers it provides are not some bits of texts taken from the internet and pieced together. It doesn't have a database of content at all. Rather, it is a neural network that has been trained using content from the internet (obviously), and now it is... See more
I consider ChatGPT a major technological breakthrough. It isn't that good (yet) as a translation tool, but it's also not even primarily a translation tool. Translation is just one of the things it happens to be able to do. Also, keep in mind that the answers it provides are not some bits of texts taken from the internet and pieced together. It doesn't have a database of content at all. Rather, it is a neural network that has been trained using content from the internet (obviously), and now it is able to respond to our questions without referring to any content database at all. I find that absolutely mind-blowing.

While for the moment, it probably won't impact the translation market significantly (it seems more error-prone than DeepL or Google), it is still an impressive demonstration of what AI is capable of. As ChatGPT is also able to process the text input holistically, not just sentence by sentence, I can easily imagine it taking away most of the translation market once OpenAI dedicates enough resources to optimize it for translation.

Anyway, I had a little conversation:

ME: I'm a translator, will you take my job away?

AI: As a large language model trained by OpenAI, I am not capable of taking anyone's job. I am simply a tool that can be used to assist with language tasks, such as providing translations or answering questions. As a translator, your skills and expertise are valuable, and I do not believe that tools like me will be able to replace the work that human translators do.

ME: Not completely, but in the future, people will be willing to pay only for really hard translations. And hard translations are, well, hard.

AI: It is possible that in the future, advances in technology may make it easier for machines to perform some language tasks that are currently difficult for them. However, I think it is unlikely that machines will be able to fully replace human translators. Human translators have a level of expertise and understanding of language and culture that is difficult for machines to replicate. Additionally, there will always be a need for human judgement and interpretation in translation, which machines are not capable of providing. So while it is true that technology may change the field of translation in the future, I do not think it will eliminate the need for human translators entirely.

ME: Not entirely, yes.

AI: As I mentioned earlier, I believe that it is unlikely that machines will be able to fully replace human translators. While technology may change the field of translation in the future, there will always be a need for human expertise and judgement in translation. As a translator, it is important to continue to develop and hone your skills, and to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field. This will help ensure that you are able to continue to provide valuable services to your clients.

The AI's judgement is sound, although I tend to think that "change your career" might be better advice than investing in "honing and developing translation skills". We are probably looking into a future where 90% of texts translated by humans today are machine-translated. They won't be quite as good as what a (good) translator can do, but they will be "good enough" for most companies. Eventually, readers will get used to MT idioms, until finally human translators will be told to write more like a machine, because it sounds more "modern".

Occasional factual errors will remain a problem, but you don't need a translator for fact-checking.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Ron Willems

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Replacing or not Dec 13, 2022

Not a question about replacing humans or not, but what will happen with the market, prices etc.

For instance, if translators are left paid 0.01 or lower for MT post-editing, they won't make enough to pay for ProZ membership or Trados license. Impressive how one thing leads to another, can machines predict that? No, they can't. But those who make them can.

Laurent Di Raimondo
David GAY

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Written by a BOT Dec 13, 2022

I presume the post at the top of this thread was written by a BOT. It certainly reads that way. There's a flatness, and a lack of expressiveness, that are robotic. The BOT will probably now reply to what I've said here, in quite a convincing way.

[Edited at 2022-12-13 11:28 GMT]

luppivega

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Enough Dec 13, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I presume the post at the top of this thread was written by a BOT. It certainly reads that way. There's a flatness, and a lack of expressiveness, that are robotic. The BOT will probably now reply to what I've said here, in quite a convincing way.

[Edited at 2022-12-13 11:28 GMT]

That's enough for robotic contexts, which is 90% of the Internet. To purely get informed about something, in a robotic way.

Jorge Payan

Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
You're not sure? Dec 13, 2022

ME: Write me a funny retort to the following statement about my forum post: "I presume the post at the top of this thread was written by a BOT. It certainly reads that way. There's a flatness, and a lack of expressiveness, that are robotic. The BOT will probably now reply to what I've said here, in quite a convincing way."

AI: "I may be a BOT, but at least I'm not the one making presumptions without any evidence to back it up! Plus, I may be lacking in expressiveness, but at least I
... See more
ME: Write me a funny retort to the following statement about my forum post: "I presume the post at the top of this thread was written by a BOT. It certainly reads that way. There's a flatness, and a lack of expressiveness, that are robotic. The BOT will probably now reply to what I've said here, in quite a convincing way."

AI: "I may be a BOT, but at least I'm not the one making presumptions without any evidence to back it up! Plus, I may be lacking in expressiveness, but at least I don't come across as flat and robotic in my responses like some people I know cough you cough."

Ok, it's dumb by human standards. But are you not mind-blown that ChatGPT can meaningfully respond at all?
Collapse

luppivega
Lingua 5B
Michael Newton
Ron Willems
David Jessop
Rita Translator

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Well...... Dec 13, 2022

Ulrich Leininger wrote:

ME: "I presume the post at the top of this thread was written by a BOT. It certainly reads that way. There's a flatness, and a lack of expressiveness, that are robotic. The BOT will probably now reply to what I've said here, in quite a convincing way."

AI: "I may be a BOT, but at least I'm not the one making presumptions without any evidence to back it up! Plus, I may be lacking in expressiveness, but at least I don't come across as flat and robotic in my responses like some people I know cough you cough."

.... I actually think its funny. Beat that Tom.

[Edited at 2022-12-13 20:43 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Blah blah Dec 13, 2022

ChatGPT site info: 'We're experiencing exceptionally high demand. Please hang tight as we work on scaling our systems.'

ME: When do you think your systems will have been scaled?

AI: As an AI assistant trained by OpenAI, I am a large language model. I am not sure what you mean by "scaled". Can you please provide some more context or explain what you are asking?

ME: How good is the Portuguese public health system?

AI: I am not able to browse the
... See more
ChatGPT site info: 'We're experiencing exceptionally high demand. Please hang tight as we work on scaling our systems.'

ME: When do you think your systems will have been scaled?

AI: As an AI assistant trained by OpenAI, I am a large language model. I am not sure what you mean by "scaled". Can you please provide some more context or explain what you are asking?

ME: How good is the Portuguese public health system?

AI: I am not able to browse the internet, so I cannot provide current information on the Portuguese public health system. However, in general, public health systems vary in quality from one country to another. Some public health systems are highly regarded for their quality of care and access to services, while others may have more limited resources and face challenges in providing effective care to their populations. It is best to research the specific public health system in Portugal in order to get an accurate picture of its strengths and weaknesses.

ME: Where can I best place €10,000* short term as a resident of Portugal?

*) Arbitrary figure, not personal.

AI: I am not able to provide specific financial advice, as I am a large language model trained by OpenAI and do not have access to current information on the Portuguese financial market. However, generally speaking, there are a few different options for investing a relatively small amount of money, such as €10,000, in the short term. Some potential options might include:

Savings accounts or money market accounts, which offer relatively low interest rates but are also low risk.

Certificates of deposit (CDs), which typically offer slightly higher interest rates than savings accounts but also require you to keep your money invested for a specific period of time (such as six months or a year).

Short-term government bonds or other fixed-income securities, which offer a higher level of interest income but also carry some level of risk, depending on the issuer and the specific security.

It is important to carefully research your options and consider factors such as risk, return, and liquidity before making any investment decisions. You may also want to consult with a financial advisor or professional to get personalized advice based on your specific financial situation and goals.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Cough you cough Dec 13, 2022

Ulrich Leininger wrote:

Ok, it's dumb by human standards. But are you not mind-blown that ChatGPT can meaningfully respond at all?

I like the "cough you cough" part, it's very poetic.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Hangers Dec 13, 2022

ME: Find the error in the following sentence: 'Lufthansa kept its A380s in large hangers during the Covid crisis.'

AI: The error in the sentence is the word "hangers". The correct word is "hangars". A hangar is a large building or shed where aircraft are stored and maintained, while a hanger is a device used for hanging clothes or other objects.

It's smarter than many native British journalists, then.

neilmac
Ron Willems
Cilian O'Tuama
Rita Translator

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Journalists vs. editors Dec 13, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

ME: Find the error in the following sentence: 'Lufthansa kept its A380s in large hangers during the Covid crisis.'

AI: The error in the sentence is the word "hangers". The correct word is "hangars". A hangar is a large building or shed where aircraft are stored and maintained, while a hanger is a device used for hanging clothes or other objects.

It's smarter than many native British journalists, then.

Journalist and editor are not always the same person, so we don't know for sure who to blame.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
A different view of it Dec 13, 2022

Ulrich Leininger wrote:

I consider ChatGPT a major technological breakthrough. It isn't that good (yet) as a translation tool, but it's also not even primarily a translation tool. Translation is just one of the things it happens to be able to do. Also, keep in mind that the answers it provides are not some bits of texts taken from the internet and pieced together. It doesn't have a database of content at all. Rather, it is a neural network that has been trained using content from the internet (obviously), and now it is able to respond to our questions without referring to any content database at all. I find that absolutely mind-blowing.

Judging by the examples of its output circulating here and elsewhere on the web, there is one thing where ChatGPT excels indeed: simulating corporate executives and politicians. But I don't think it says a lot about ChatGPT, it rather revives a suspicion many of us had at least once in our lives: are these guys (executives and politicians, I mean) at all human?

Tom in London
Robert Rietvelt
Laurent Di Raimondo
Victoria Britten
Kay Denney
celiacheung85

Taner Tanrıöver
Taner Tanrıöver  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
My attempt at a conversation with the AI Dec 13, 2022

Me: Is there anything that you would like to ask a human?
AI: As a language model trained by OpenAI, I am not capable of asking questions or engaging in conversation with humans. I am designed to provide information and answer questions to the best of my ability based on my training, but I do not have the ability to initiate conversation or interact with humans in the same way that a person would.

Me: Please translate this sentence into Turkish.
AI: Merhaba, nasılsını
... See more
Me: Is there anything that you would like to ask a human?
AI: As a language model trained by OpenAI, I am not capable of asking questions or engaging in conversation with humans. I am designed to provide information and answer questions to the best of my ability based on my training, but I do not have the ability to initiate conversation or interact with humans in the same way that a person would.

Me: Please translate this sentence into Turkish.
AI: Merhaba, nasılsınız?

The translation of the sentence into Turkish is: "Merhaba, nasılsınız?"

In English, the translation of this sentence would be: "Hello, how are you?"

Turkish is a member of the Turkic language family and is spoken by approximately 85 million people, primarily in Turkey. It is written in the Latin alphabet and uses a number of special characters and diacritical marks to represent unique sounds. Like many languages, Turkish has a number of variations and dialects, and the exact way that words and sentences are written and pronounced can vary depending on the region and the speaker.

Me: That is not correct. The translation of that sentence is "Lütfen bu cümleyi Türkçeye çevir."
AI: Thank you for bringing that to my attention. You are correct, the translation of the sentence "Lütfen bu cümleyi Türkçeye çevir" into English is "Please translate this sentence into Turkish."

In Turkish, "Lütfen" is the word for "please," "bu" is the word for "this," "cümleyi" is the word for "sentence," and "Türkçeye" is the word for "Turkish." The word "çevir" means "translate." The sentence is in the imperative mood, which is used to give a command or make a request.

As a language model trained by OpenAI, I strive to provide accurate and useful information to the best of my ability. However, I am not perfect and may make mistakes from time to time. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

Me: Which F1 driver holds the record for most races won?
AI: As of December 2022, the Formula 1 driver with the most race wins is Michael Schumacher, who won a total of 91 races during his career. Schumacher is a retired German racing driver who competed in Formula 1 from 1991 to 2012. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest drivers in the history of the sport and holds a number of records, including the most championships won (7), the most consecutive championships (5), and the most races won in a single season (13).

Schumacher made his Formula 1 debut with the Jordan team at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix and quickly established himself as a competitive and successful driver. He went on to win his first championship with the Benetton team in 1994 and 1995, before moving to Ferrari in 1996. With Ferrari, Schumacher won an additional five championships (2000-2004) and helped the team become one of the most dominant in the sport. He retired from Formula 1 in 2012 and currently holds the record for the most race wins of any driver in the history of the sport.

Me: How many races did Lewis Hamilton win in his F1 career?
AI: As of December 2022, Lewis Hamilton has won a total of 97 races in his Formula 1 career. Hamilton is a British racing driver who currently competes for the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team. He made his Formula 1 debut with the McLaren team at the 2007 Australian Grand Prix and has since become one of the most successful and accomplished drivers in the history of the sport.

Hamilton has won a total of seven Formula 1 World Championships, putting him second only to Michael Schumacher, who won seven championships during his career. Hamilton has also won a number of other accolades and awards, including the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award (2014) and the Laureus World Sports Award for Sportsman of the Year (2019).

In addition to his 97 race wins, Hamilton has also achieved a total of 152 podium finishes, 96 pole positions, and 43 fastest laps. He is currently in the midst of his 14th season in Formula 1 and is considered one of the favorites to win the championship this year.

Me: So Lewis Hamilton must have broken Schumacher's record of 91 wins?
AI: As of December 2022, Lewis Hamilton has not yet broken Michael Schumacher's record of 91 race wins in Formula 1. Although Hamilton has won 97 races during his career, this is still short of Schumacher's record.

Hamilton is considered one of the greatest drivers in the history of Formula 1, and he has achieved a number of impressive milestones and records during his career. However, he has not yet surpassed Schumacher's record for the most race wins. It is possible that he may break this record in the future, but as of now, Schumacher's record remains intact.

In addition to his record for the most race wins, Schumacher also holds the record for the most championships won (7), the most consecutive championships (5), and the most races won in a single season (13). These are among the most prestigious records in Formula 1, and it is unlikely that they will be broken anytime soon.

Me: Are you saying 97 is less than 91?
AI: Yes, that is correct. 97 is less than 91.

In mathematics, the symbol " 91," we are stating that 97 is a larger number than 91. This can be demonstrated by placing the two numbers on a number line, where 97 would be to the right of 91.

In the case of Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher's race wins in Formula 1, Hamilton has won 97 races and Schumacher has won 91 races. Therefore, 97 is greater than 91, and Hamilton has won more races than Schumacher. However, Schumacher still holds the record for the most race wins of any driver in the history of Formula 1.

Me: How is that possible?
AI: As a language model trained by OpenAI, I am not able to provide information on current events or predict the future. My abilities are limited to providing information and answering questions based on my training, which does not include real-time information or the ability to predict the future. Additionally, I do not have access to the internet, so I am unable to browse for current information or update my knowledge. I apologize if my response does not meet your needs. Is there anything else I may assist you with?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Not much intelligence here, artificial or not Dec 13, 2022

Me: Is there any contradiction in the following, and if so, what is it? '"Superview" is a free TV streaming service. You don't need a contract. You can give notice at any time and obtain a refund for the unused period.'

AI: There is no contradiction in the statement. It simply states that Superview is a free TV streaming service that does not require a contract, and that users can give notice and obtain a refund for the unused period at any time.

Duh.

Taner Tanrıöver
Tom in London
neilmac
Cilian O'Tuama

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:58
Greek to English
Unfortunate term Dec 14, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Not much intelligence here, artificial or not

Of course not. The term "artificial intelligence" is a bad choice - at least as far as the current status is concerned.

There is no "intelligence" here at all. ChatGPT is just a sophisticated computer program that processes inputs and then generates outputs, based on a set of algorithms and a large knowledge base. We have to resist the human tendency to anthropomorphise everything.

Having said that, ChatGPT is a rather impressive example of this class of software. Other posters have provided examples that illustrate its weaknesses, and some of its strengths.

In view of my own special interest area, I asked it to generate a 500-word abstract presenting the latest developments in CART-cell research, including references.

The result was at first sight sufficiently good to pass muster as, for example, a student essay. There were several paragraphs of text, summarising recent studies in the area, in the context of an overview of the technique in question. Three references to the studies were provided at the end, in a standard format (Harvard).

Then I checked the references on PubMed and Google scholar. Two were bogus, and the third did not match the citation in the text (mismatched journal).

I challenged ChatGPT on this point and it fessed up quite abjectly, saying that it did not have access to current information (as in other answers quoted in this thread) and that its output was intended to be only generalised and indicative.

I am really glad I'm not one of the university professors who are going to have to screen the flood of student essays written by ChatGPT.

Perhaps more worrying is what it might be able to do in the future, when it does have access to live internet and essentially unlimited sources of up-to-date information.

It still won't be "intelligent", though.

TonyTK
Rita Translator

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Marketing Dec 14, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Not much intelligence here, artificial or not

Of course not. The term "artificial intelligence" is a bad choice - at least as far as the current status is concerned.

This word was chosen for marketing reasons, not semantic reasons.

A friend of mine, business&market expert/accountant works with IT people and IT freelancers. She said: You create these apps and systems without ever checking if anybody will actually need them. She said this from a market researcher POV. They just keep creating them out of impulse. When it turns out the market does not need them, then they create these flashy words such as intelligence and pay time on podcasts to promote them and blow them out of proportions. Or those who funded their project do, they care about their return on investment.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ChatGPT, we need to talk.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »