Thread poster: janduarte
janduarte
janduarte
United States
Local time: 13:37
English to Spanish
Aug 25, 2008

Hi guys,
What is the difference between TRADOS Professinal and TRADOS freelance?

Mari Noller
Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Basically... Aug 25, 2008

How many PC's that can run the program at the same time in one local network area, from what I understand.
Probably several things different, but it says on the SDL Trados website doesn't it?

janduarte
janduarte
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Mari Aug 25, 2008

Thanks Mari, I am new in the Translation business and I just want to know if getting the freelance version (which is cheaper) is worth it.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:37
French to Polish
+ ...
Basic diferences... Aug 25, 2008

Mari Noller wrote:

How many PC's that can run the program at the same time in one local network area, from what I understand.

Yep.
And the TM sharing between several PCs.
Attention.
In theory, you can't share termbases, you need a terminology server (extremely expensive).
In fact, it's not true but needs some imagination

Probably several things different, but it says on the SDL Trados website doesn't it?

The most important difference are:

1)
In the FL versions, you're limited to 5 languages you select during the installation.
It's sufficient for most of us but if you deal with more languages or you're managing multilingual projects, the Pro version is a must.

2)
IMHO, a more flexible licensing if you select the floating model.
E.g. you can install T. on several machines and "borrow" the licence from the licence server you deploy on your local network.

Some other (few) features are available in the Pro version but they're designed for project managers or advanced users (e.g. creating TM subsets for the current project).

Generally, if you don't manage Trados projects i.e. you need only to share TMs/termbases at home, they're a lot of more interesting and cheaper solutions like DVX or MemoQ (list not exhaustive).

Cheers
GG

janduarte
janduarte
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 25, 2008

Thanks Grzegorz for the info.
It makes more sense now.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:37
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The most important limitation Aug 25, 2008

The most aggravating misfeature of the freelance version is that you cannot run more than one instance of it on the same LAN (no matter how many licenses you have bought).

If, for instance, you and a partner of yours work on the same network, if both of you have freelance versions of Trados, only one will be able to run at any one time (the other one will be limited to demo mode). This notwithstanding that you both have paid for full freelance licenses.

If two (or more)
... See more
The most aggravating misfeature of the freelance version is that you cannot run more than one instance of it on the same LAN (no matter how many licenses you have bought).

If, for instance, you and a partner of yours work on the same network, if both of you have freelance versions of Trados, only one will be able to run at any one time (the other one will be limited to demo mode). This notwithstanding that you both have paid for full freelance licenses.

If two (or more) translators work on the same network, only one of them will be able to work using a freelance copy of Trados: all others will need to have a professional one.
Collapse

Mari Noller
Mari Noller
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
But... Aug 25, 2008

You can run a copy of the freelance version on your desktop PC and on your laptop, just not at the same time.
So it can be installed on two PC's at the same time without having two licenses.

So I was told by staff at SDL Trados earlier this week anyway

Irina Lazarescu
Irina Lazarescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:37
Member (2005)
English to Romanian
+ ...
attention to internet connection Aug 26, 2008

If both desktop and laptop with running Trados are connecting in the same time at internet, one of them, probabil the last connected , will run in "demo" mode. This is mentioned in "Terms of use" ! One computer ( with Trados installed) at one time .

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
differences beetween Professional and Freelance versions of Trados Studio Oct 6, 2017

http://www.sdl.com/software-and-services/translation-software/sdl-trados-studio/editions.html

I am intrigued by the feature Translation Quality Assessment, only available on the Professional version. What this may be ?

Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
"SDL Trados" OR "Studio Freelance" Mar 13, 2018

What is the difference between these two packages? I am a solo freelance translator and do not use CAT tools, but am considering learning and buying one. Which is the best one to consider?

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Run a new version in Trial mode... Mar 15, 2018

Best way to know what the 'Professional' version is all about is to run for 30 days the Trial when you install a new Trados version. It will be the Professional version for 30 days, after that you need to buy the software (one of the versions) or run in Demo mode. I think if you buy with Group Buy here on Proz, you also get this 30-day-trial after installing.

The most important differences are mentioned above already, in addition it allows you to:

- Create packages (for
... See more
Best way to know what the 'Professional' version is all about is to run for 30 days the Trial when you install a new Trados version. It will be the Professional version for 30 days, after that you need to buy the software (one of the versions) or run in Demo mode. I think if you buy with Group Buy here on Proz, you also get this 30-day-trial after installing.

The most important differences are mentioned above already, in addition it allows you to:

- Create packages (for PMs, but also convenient if you exchange between other fellow translators who work with other CATs, and you can bypass expensive networking to some degree, I suppose)
- Run custom Batch tasks instead of the pre-defined ones
- Use the included Autosuggest Dictionary feature (which you can also buy separately for Freelance Edition)
- Use improved Verify and QA functions (only useful for PMs, less useful for translators...)
- You can change the status of locked segments (oh, great...I always wanted to mess with my PM...)

As for projects, no, I don't think multi-languages are really supported because I don't think a TM can have different source languages recognized in it, so if you happen to have a mixture of languages in a file, the Pro version won't help you very much, you won't be able to load different language TMs or termbases in a single project AFAIK. The Pro version is clearly only designed for PMs when doing admin work inside Trados and all these additional features are certainly not worth the multi-thousand Euro/Dollars to spend IMO, unless you can detract them from taxes obviously...
But what really puzzles me is: How in the world would a PM need all these 'translation' functions? If a separate program was made for PMs only containing the additions of the Pro version, this would surely be enough for any admin work, and at a reduced cost also!

[Edited at 2018-03-15 04:09 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Just to slightly correct what I said above... Mar 15, 2018

You can have full multi-language support if you use AnyTM. This will allow you to load a TM in your project *reguardless* of the language combination. This also means you don't need the Pro version to have multi-language support in a project. Also you can load any termbases.
This scenario is useful if you have more source languages in a file to translate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Professional vs. Trados freelance

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »