Maja Petrovska
Maja Petrovska  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:37
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2017

Hi fellow translators,

An addition to the list of translation scammers - a certain "Joanne Pierce", requesting a "translation quote" for 2 articles (one of around 3800 words and the other of around 10000 words). The message is sent from a personal Gmail address, no agency name, no title, no contact information. And, by the way, the name on the email address is different from the email address itself: Joanne Pierce

I quoted a ridiculous amount, maybe 10x higher than the
... See more
Hi fellow translators,

An addition to the list of translation scammers - a certain "Joanne Pierce", requesting a "translation quote" for 2 articles (one of around 3800 words and the other of around 10000 words). The message is sent from a personal Gmail address, no agency name, no title, no contact information. And, by the way, the name on the email address is different from the email address itself: Joanne Pierce

I quoted a ridiculous amount, maybe 10x higher than the real translation rate for such a project. The acceptance was immediate, no credentials asked, with a request to send my "mailing address" (?!?!) for processing the payment.

I checked an online directory of translation scammer emails; this address doesn't seem to be there, but I'm definitely adding it to the list. http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-emails.htm

Beware and good luck.

Cheers,
Collapse

Karen Zaragoza
Karen Zaragoza
Local time: 00:37
SITE STAFF
Information needed Feb 22, 2017

Dear Maja,

Thanks for this information. To look into this further could you please confirm if you have been contacted by "Joanne Pierce" via ProZ.com? If so, kindly provide the complete email offer you received including the full headers by submitting a support request at http://www.proz.com/support , and the site staff will investigate the issue. If you are unsure how to obtain these headers,
... See more
Dear Maja,

Thanks for this information. To look into this further could you please confirm if you have been contacted by "Joanne Pierce" via ProZ.com? If so, kindly provide the complete email offer you received including the full headers by submitting a support request at http://www.proz.com/support , and the site staff will investigate the issue. If you are unsure how to obtain these headers, you will find a handy description here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22454?hl=en

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Karen Zaragoza
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Maja Petrovska
Maja Petrovska  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:37
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Feb 22, 2017

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the question. No, this was a direct email; not sent through Proz. I've received a few emails like this in the past, as I assume have many other translators, so I think it's useful to spread the word.

Cheers,

Maja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammer alert - translation of articles related to conflict management

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »