The challenges of translation for Facebook

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The challenges of translation for Facebook".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Yeah--it will be hard, I guess even if the technology got Apr 26, 2017

better, because language is a collection of idiolects basically, with some shared features. The only solution would be to forbid slang anywhere on the internet, and create glossaries of the words to use. Also a book with simplified grammar instructions might be useful. Don't take it seriously, please. At least not now. I cannot see any other solution, though.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Really? Apr 26, 2017

"So, Ayan explained, Facebook takes monolingual data (i.e., text), runs it through machine translation, and, voilà, an artificial corpus of bilingual data is created. Apparently, using a large machine-generated parallel corpus to train an NMT system is still better than using a high quality but only small corpus."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The challenges of translation for Facebook

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »