Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
USER MANUAL FOR THE SHORT - STAY "SCHENGEN" CALCULATOR Jun 26, 2016

Huw Watkins wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:

I regret the fact that I wouldn't be able to take my laptop anywhere in Europe for an extended period to work ...

Why wouldn't you? Nobody would know whether you were in Germany or Brazil or anywhere else.

[Edited at 2016-06-26 17:05 GMT]

Much like my experiences visiting the Ukraine to see my wife's family, they have a 90 in 180 visitation law in place. (They stamp you in and out).

This means I can only stay for a period of 90 days over a period of 180 days. Okay this is 3 months so I suppose it qualifies as an extended stay, but I couldn't do a year for example without applying for special extension visas and all the hassle that implies. I assume that there will be similar restrictions imposed on the UK. A Schengen visa for those outside the EU has the 90 in 180 rule too, if I am not mistaken - but perhaps I am - it wouldn't be the first time!

I suppose technically you would spend 6 months of the year there, so maybe I'm exaggerating this anxiety somewhat...

[Edited at 2016-06-26 17:22 GMT]

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/border-crossing/docs/short_stay_schengen_calculator_user_manual_en.pdf

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
There you go Jun 26, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:

I regret the fact that I wouldn't be able to take my laptop anywhere in Europe for an extended period to work ...

Why wouldn't you? Nobody would know whether you were in Germany or Brazil or anywhere else.

[Edited at 2016-06-26 17:05 GMT]

Much like my experiences visiting the Ukraine to see my wife's family, they have a 90 in 180 visitation law in place. (They stamp you in and out).

This means I can only stay for a period of 90 days over a period of 180 days. Okay this is 3 months so I suppose it qualifies as an extended stay, but I couldn't do a year for example without applying for special extension visas and all the hassle that implies. I assume that there will be similar restrictions imposed on the UK. A Schengen visa for those outside the EU has the 90 in 180 rule too, if I am not mistaken - but perhaps I am - it wouldn't be the first time!

I suppose technically you would spend 6 months of the year there, so maybe I'm exaggerating this anxiety somewhat...

[Edited at 2016-06-26 17:22 GMT]

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/border-crossing/docs/short_stay_schengen_calculator_user_manual_en.pdf

However I also looked online and it does seem that there are other types of Schengen visa available for purchase with differing lengths of stay. So it's not all bad news for the nomadic translator.

http://www.schengenvisainfo.com

Specifically the long-stay (more than 90 days) visa. I haven't read in depth on the Ts and Cs of that however.

[Edited at 2016-06-26 19:11 GMT]

RosiJillett
RosiJillett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Petition calling for a 2nd EU referendum vote Jun 26, 2016

Did the result really represent the will of the British people? It seems some who voted to leave didn't realise their vote would count(!!!!!) and have already changed their minds, particularly in the light of promises already being broken by the pro-Brexit politicians. Some cast their vote as a protest vote thinking the Remain camp was strong enough without them. (Hmm!)
Here's the link again for the petition which has 3.5 million signatories so far asking for a re-run as the margin is so
... See more
Did the result really represent the will of the British people? It seems some who voted to leave didn't realise their vote would count(!!!!!) and have already changed their minds, particularly in the light of promises already being broken by the pro-Brexit politicians. Some cast their vote as a protest vote thinking the Remain camp was strong enough without them. (Hmm!)
Here's the link again for the petition which has 3.5 million signatories so far asking for a re-run as the margin is so small for such a momentous decision.
You can sign it if you are a British citizen or UK resident (if you're neither of these, please don't as it will have an adverse effect as previously mentioned.)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

[Edited at 2016-06-26 21:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-06-26 21:47 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/1#1
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Define: "majority" & "bereavement" Jun 27, 2016

I think that a taboo ('politics') is a very nice way to shut opponents up, yet it’s funny how minority speculates about majority, when even half (be it odd or even) is enough to doubt ANY union, not to mention the modern politicized EU (economic-less US liege).

The problem. Where is it?
First, although the currency ratio fluctuates, we are still talking about one of the strongest world’s economics with its OWN currency (not €), so no problem here (unless a handmade force
... See more
I think that a taboo ('politics') is a very nice way to shut opponents up, yet it’s funny how minority speculates about majority, when even half (be it odd or even) is enough to doubt ANY union, not to mention the modern politicized EU (economic-less US liege).

The problem. Where is it?
First, although the currency ratio fluctuates, we are still talking about one of the strongest world’s economics with its OWN currency (not €), so no problem here (unless a handmade force majeure), let alone the UK is one of the most ‘magnanimous’ EU investors with, which also counts.

Second, localization (focusing) means more jobs for local–BRITISH–people, which just makes the UK even stronger!
Not sure, why Scotland and Ireland supposedly so direly long for the EU, yet I see no point joining euro-weaklings.
Why so primy?

I strongly believe that as far as at least 50% of British people doubt the EU is good for them, then it’s sensible enough to tell lame excuses from real arguments—there’re some two years to consider!

In conclusion: as a EU founder, Great Britain can't leaves the EU for it’s very Great Britain who throws away the EU, which is good for the UK, but seems bad for the EU.

IMO
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Immigration Jun 27, 2016

I agree that immigration has not been discussed in the right way during the campaign and it puzzled me why the remain side didn't use this argument.

Our local hospital couldn't function without immigration, especially at higher levels and many cleaners are immigrants too. I am doing an MA at the moment and more than 80% of my course are from Asia (China, Japan ...), however, all these talented young people who have already started a career in their home country and come here to do a
... See more
I agree that immigration has not been discussed in the right way during the campaign and it puzzled me why the remain side didn't use this argument.

Our local hospital couldn't function without immigration, especially at higher levels and many cleaners are immigrants too. I am doing an MA at the moment and more than 80% of my course are from Asia (China, Japan ...), however, all these talented young people who have already started a career in their home country and come here to do an MA and to learn the language need to leave after their one year course as they don't get a visa to work. I do find that incomprehensible and damaging to the British economy.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/1#1
Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:55
German to English
Petition is from the UK Remainers and not the EU Jun 27, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

How like the EU and its supporters to want a second referendum if the first one produces the "wrong" result.

Please don't blame the EU for the petition. Everything I have heard from EU officials was along the lines of: "That's a shame and a pity about the UK. But the UK has clearly made its choice, please get on with things quickly now." Maybe it's a shame that there was a referendum, maybe things are going to work out badly for the UK and/or the EU, etc., but the UK government decided to organize a referendum, they made it happen, and a majority voted to leave the EU.

I think that there are very few people in the rest of the EU that want to hear about a petition or the referendum's non-binding character for Parliament. I would have liked to see the "remain" camp win by a clear margin, but they lost, and the last thing that I want now is for the EU to include a UK that has clearly (3-4% is not much of a margin, but it's not that small either, and there was a high turn-out) said it does not want to be a part of it.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Dual citizenship Jun 27, 2016

The UK is still in the EU and it will probably take a while for them to officially leave. Germany does not normally permit dual citizenship, but there is a blanket exception for citizens of other EU countries who meet the requirements for dual citizenship. They never have to renounce their original citizenship. I would guess that this is based on an EU directive that has been implemented throughout the EU.

So, I would suggest that anyone concerned about this issue (in the UK or else
... See more
The UK is still in the EU and it will probably take a while for them to officially leave. Germany does not normally permit dual citizenship, but there is a blanket exception for citizens of other EU countries who meet the requirements for dual citizenship. They never have to renounce their original citizenship. I would guess that this is based on an EU directive that has been implemented throughout the EU.

So, I would suggest that anyone concerned about this issue (in the UK or elsewhere) should look into this quickly, while they still have time. That may provide a relatively easy solution for a lot of people who obviously ought to be permitted to stay where they are.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
actually... Jun 27, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Some commenters here are in the UK. Others are not.

For those who are not, everything remains as it was.

as a Brit living in Paris, no things will not remain as they were. I'll have to apply for a residence permit and maybe a work permit, or get married, or apply for French nationality. While I love French people, culture etc and feel very much at home here I do not feel in the least bit French (Doing my job properly does involve ferreting out the very many differences between the French and the Brits). And I have a red-tape phobia too.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No respect for what people vote? Jun 27, 2016

Sorry guys, but even if I completely dislike the idea of the UK leaving the EU and think that the vote had a protest component, now that it was voted, shouldn't people's opinion be respected as a supreme value?

If the result of the referendum is not respected, wouldn't the value of asking the people drop down to zippo, thus undermining democracy itself?

[Edited at 2016-06-27 08:26 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
the maths is easy! Jun 27, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

wonder which side would have won if they had let all of us people living here in the UK with EU passports vote too?

[Edited at 2016-06-26 10:55 GMT]

the 3 million EU citizens in the UK and the 1.3 million UK citizens in the EU would have more than tipped the balance

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
@ Michael Wetzel Jun 27, 2016

Yes, I was wrong in my expectations as to how the EU would react. It has a history of demanding second referendums. It has done so twice in the case of Ireland. But on this occasion they just want us to get on with it, and I entirely agree.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »