Thread poster: Christian [email protected]
Christian christian@nielsen-palacios.com
Christian [email protected]
United States
Local time: 07:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2016

A few days ago, I received an email from "Anthony Jayden", who said he found me in ProZ. He asked me how much it would cost (and how much time I would need) to translate an "article" for him, from English to Spanish.
His email address was [email protected] (not Gmail). I asked him for some personal information, so that he wouldn't be "just a guy with an email account". He sent me an address in Boston (very expensive apartment downtown).He also
... See more
A few days ago, I received an email from "Anthony Jayden", who said he found me in ProZ. He asked me how much it would cost (and how much time I would need) to translate an "article" for him, from English to Spanish.
His email address was [email protected] (not Gmail). I asked him for some personal information, so that he wouldn't be "just a guy with an email account". He sent me an address in Boston (very expensive apartment downtown).He also said my price ($621, higher than average) was OK, and that he would ask "his accountant" to send me a check immediately.

As I prepared by converting his PDF into a Word file, I thought of Googling a sentence from the "article". The whole thing turned out to be a few pages from a 1992 book by a Stanford professor. The book itself has already been translated to 20 languages, including Spanish, and he could buy it for $79 in Amazon. Obviously very suspicious.

Today (November 21), I got another email from him, telling me the check is on its way, but that his accountant made a small mistake and accidentally included his travel expenses. So, he would like me to send him back that amount of money. Clearly the typical scam. I will wait a few more days to see if I actually get the check, which would then make him guilty of a federal offense (using the US Post Office). If any of you know who to report him to, please let me know. Alejandro (ProZ) knows already.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Destroy the check Nov 21, 2016

Rule #1 of scamming by email: they found you on some bonafide website (Proz.com, atanet.org, etc.).
Rule #2: they accept your fee without haggling
Rule #3: they actually send you a check but for more money, and they ask you to return a portion of it using your own bank account check. Basically, they're asking for free money. It's a theft.

Of course it's a scam! Don't even respond to those emails.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scammer (found me in ProZ)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »