Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 17:33
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 6, 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy Microsoft Office 2016, and I found some cheap versions online, like https://windowspro.co.uk/ms-office-pack/office-2016-professional-plus-for-windows. Would anyone happen to know if these are legit or not?

Thank you very much!

Alain

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:33
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Too good to be true Jun 6, 2017

Looks too good to be true. Windows 7 for €4.5?

[Edited at 2017-06-06 12:12 GMT]

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Looks like it is a scam! Jun 6, 2017

Check this link:

https://www.signal-arnaques.com/en/scam/view/56352

It looks like you are right to be suspicious!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:33
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Genuine version is not costly Jun 6, 2017

Why would anyone risk a pirated version of Office? Under the Office 365 program, it's only about $10 a month for the entire Office Suite, direct from Microsoft.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Depending on one's needs and preferences Jun 6, 2017

WPS Office, LibreOffice, Apache OpenOffice, SoftMaker FreeOffice, a cross-platform SSuite Office Premium HD +, online Google Docs, Calligra Suite, Lotus Symphony, Ashampoo Office, and so on...

Volodymyr Pedchenko
Volodymyr Pedchenko
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Plus bonuses Jun 6, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

Why would anyone risk a pirated version of Office? Under the Office 365 program, it's only about $10 a month for the entire Office Suite, direct from Microsoft.

Also, it comes with many bonuses like OneDrive space and ability to share it with 3 people from your family (you can even share it with fellow translators - the onedrive is not shared). On the cons side - the web-interface seems to be much less-tested by Microsoft than their desktop products. I have run into many problems when using it and support is actually non-existant.

Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Jun 6, 2017

Thank you very much! I'll buy the official version

Alain

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Or a Home edition Jun 6, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

Or a permanent license of the Home edition for 149 euros in the case of Europe, if that does the job for your case.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:33
English to Thai
+ ...
OpenSource Office Jun 7, 2017

I recently prefer OpenSource Office software. It is free of charge and is compatible with MS Office.
I also use Google Docs: It is handy and priceless for me at any corner of the world [accessible online]

Regards,
Soonthon L.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
LO/AOO Jun 7, 2017

I use mostly LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. Both are free software, very convenient and stable. However, there are certain issues about compatibility with Microsoft Office (for text and presentation documents). SoftMaker Office reportedly features better compatibility with MSO, but is non-free softw... See more
I use mostly LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice. Both are free software, very convenient and stable. However, there are certain issues about compatibility with Microsoft Office (for text and presentation documents). SoftMaker Office reportedly features better compatibility with MSO, but is non-free software. Anyway, it is cheaper than MSO (notably, it can be used on 3 computers).Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Cross-platform Jun 7, 2017

esperantisto wrote:

SoftMaker Office reportedly features better compatibility with MSO, but is non-free software. Anyway, it is cheaper than MSO (notably, it can be used on 3 computers).

And it's cross-platform (that is: there's a Linux version too).

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
There are no advanced word processors that are 100 % compatible to each other Jun 7, 2017

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

OpenSource Office software

Is there really a software that is named OpenSource Office? Or do you mean OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

is compatible with MS Office

It may be x % compatible, but with x beeing less than 100.

The problem: You can't discern whether your software handles a certain document exactly like MS Word, you can see only what your software displays. And you can't learn what your customer might see using MS Word.

For simple running text alternative software is ok, but ...

And what about a simple calculation: Buy a software for 200 bucks and use it 5 years. This results in less than 1 cup of coffee per week.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Totally agree! Jun 7, 2017

Rolf Keller wrote:

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

OpenSource Office software

Is there really a software that is named OpenSource Office? Or do you mean OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

is compatible with MS Office

It may be x % compatible, but with x beeing less than 100.

The problem: You can't discern whether your software handles a certain document exactly like MS Word, you can see only what your software displays. And you can't learn what your customer might see using MS Word.

For simple running text alternative software is ok, but ...

And what about a simple calculation: Buy a software for 200 bucks and use it 5 years. This results in less than 1 cup of coffee per week.

If it's for real work, there's really nothing better than a real version of Office, to guarantee you are not sending your clients garbled .doc and .docx files. Don't get me wrong, I hate Microsoft software as much as the next guy, and love the idea of open source, but I translate to make money, and so need to guarantee my clients are getting 100% compatibility. I can play around with all kinds of software in my free time, but when it comes to work, I should use work grade stuff.

Michael

[Edited at 2017-06-07 08:19 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Open standards, open formats Jun 7, 2017

I agree full compatibility cannot be achieved and you need to keep a copy of MS Office around as a professional translator.

The reason for this is not because Free-Libre/Open Source Software and other alternative programs are not “work grade stuff” but because Microsoft Office uses non-open (aka proprietary) file formats.

There is one such open format and it is called the Open Document Format.

What I hate is vendor lock-ins. We should be able to choose
... See more
I agree full compatibility cannot be achieved and you need to keep a copy of MS Office around as a professional translator.

The reason for this is not because Free-Libre/Open Source Software and other alternative programs are not “work grade stuff” but because Microsoft Office uses non-open (aka proprietary) file formats.

There is one such open format and it is called the Open Document Format.

What I hate is vendor lock-ins. We should be able to choose our own “work grade” software. And that applies to other (office and CAT) tools as well.

[Edited at 2017-06-07 11:14 GMT]
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Compatibility Jun 7, 2017

I've already been working with WPS, Libre, OO, and GoogleDocs for awhile and had no issues even with rather complex .docx/.xlsx at all.

Anyway, when I get a weird/unknown file format, I just ask for RTF (rich-text format; since 1982!), DOC (MS Word 97-2003), or, in case of emergency, just exported PNG/TIFF 600dpi images--and charge extra for OCR.

Fancy, but many even corporate clients still use rather outdated software like MS Word XP/2003/2007, and many prefer f
... See more
I've already been working with WPS, Libre, OO, and GoogleDocs for awhile and had no issues even with rather complex .docx/.xlsx at all.

Anyway, when I get a weird/unknown file format, I just ask for RTF (rich-text format; since 1982!), DOC (MS Word 97-2003), or, in case of emergency, just exported PNG/TIFF 600dpi images--and charge extra for OCR.

Fancy, but many even corporate clients still use rather outdated software like MS Word XP/2003/2007, and many prefer free/counterparts.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheap Microsoft Office software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »