Does MyMemory plugin use Google Translate / Microsoft Translator, and if so why's it free?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:24
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2016

Two questions:

(1) The "MyMemory" plugin for CAT tools is free, and yet it apparently uses Google Translate and/or Microsoft Translator (aka Bing Translator). How does it do this without the translator having to pay?

(2) Does anyone have more info on:

(a) whether it indeed uses Google Translate and/or Microsoft Translator,
(b) when it uses which, and
(c) how you can tell which it is using when using the plugin in a CAT tool?

I us
... See more
Two questions:

(1) The "MyMemory" plugin for CAT tools is free, and yet it apparently uses Google Translate and/or Microsoft Translator (aka Bing Translator). How does it do this without the translator having to pay?

(2) Does anyone have more info on:

(a) whether it indeed uses Google Translate and/or Microsoft Translator,
(b) when it uses which, and
(c) how you can tell which it is using when using the plugin in a CAT tool?

I usually just use the paid Google Translate plugin in my CAT tool, but have recently been experimenting with using MyMemory instead since its free.

Michael
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:24
English to Czech
I use OmegaT Oct 10, 2016

Hi Michael,

A Italian company Translated is running online CAT "matecat". There are MyMemory services:

a) TM = human data of translators, translation menory;

b) MT = Google MT, which pay Translated (or maybe they have some barther with Google Translate).

I took 3 years ago a few not easy translateable sentences and I made their translation in "matecat".

In OmegaT (without pluggin) I can get in pane Machine Translation = Strojový
... See more
Hi Michael,

A Italian company Translated is running online CAT "matecat". There are MyMemory services:

b) MT = Google MT, which pay Translated (or maybe they have some barther with Google Translate).

I took 3 years ago a few not easy translateable sentences and I made their translation in "matecat".

In OmegaT (without pluggin) I can get in pane Machine Translation = Strojový překlad (in Czech)

a) from TM = MyMemory.

b) from MT. Some sentences was not translated.

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/matecat/2013-09-30/cs/11.html

Start here for a whole presentation:

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/matecat/2013-09-30/cs/00.html

Cheers,

Milan

PS: mateCAT is free online CAT + project management tool.
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It's free, but it's limited Oct 11, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Compared with using Google Translate directly, it's free, but it's limited.
Without giving an email (in -Dmymemory.api.email), you are limited to 100 requests per day.
If you give your email, the limit is extended to 1000 requests per day.

Didier

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Didier! Oct 11, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

Without giving an email (in -Dmymemory.api.email), you are limited to 100 requests per day.

Didier

I just had a look at the plugin in SDL Studio, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to enter an email address. I do remember this option existing in CafeTran. I will have to ask any SDL community forums.

It's still not entirely clear to me whether it uses Google Translate exclusively, or whether it also uses Microsoft Translator. I do know that it also uses human translation. That is, you occasionally see human translated TM segments pop up in between the other stuff. Funnily enough, I actually see my own name pop up quite often because I uploaded a bunch of garbage TMs (from public resources) in the past to their system. if I remember correctly, in exchange for the ability to download TMs from them. Or was that TAUS? Hmm, can't remember.

Michael

[This post was dictated using Dragon Professional Individual 15. Please excuse any typos!]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Milan! Oct 11, 2016

Milan Condak wrote:

Hi Michael,

In OmegaT (without pluggin) I can get in pane Machine Translation = Strojový překlad (in Czech)

a) from TM = MyMemory.

b) from MT. Some sentences was not translated.

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/matecat/2013-09-30/cs/11.html

Start here for a whole presentation:

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/matecat/2013-09-30/cs/00.html

Cheers,

Milan

PS: mateCAT is free online CAT + project management tool.

Incidentally, I tested MateCat the other day, well, I tested it's underlying translated.net system of human translators, as I was curious how good it was. I must say that the result was pretty terrible, and not at all worth my €0.09/src word. Thankfully I only sent them a small job of around a thousand words.

Michael

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Uses (or used) both Oct 24, 2016

Didier Briel wrote:

Didier

I just had a look at the plugin in SDL Studio, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to enter an email address. I do remember this option existing in CafeTran. I will have to ask any SDL community forums.

It's still not entirely clear to me whether it uses Google Translate exclusively, or whether it also uses Microsoft Translator. I do know that it also uses human translation. That is, you occasionally see human translated TM segments pop up in between the other stuff. Funnily enough, I actually see my own name pop up quite often because I uploaded a bunch of garbage TMs (from public resources) in the past to their system. if I remember correctly, in exchange for the ability to download TMs from them. Or was that TAUS? Hmm, can't remember.

Michael

[This post was dictated using Dragon Professional Individual 15. Please excuse any typos!]

From my observations I can conclude that it uses both those services. I use MyMemory alongside Google and Bing, and sometimes the translations are the same as the former, other times as the latter.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 24, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Didier Briel wrote:

Didier

Michael

From my observations I can conclude that it uses both those services. I use MyMemory alongside Google and Bing, and sometimes the translations are the same as the former, other times as the latter.

Yes, that's sort of what I thought too. I suppose they have some kind of quality tester in their system somewhere, which decides which is best each time and gives the user that one.

I'm basically just being a cheapskate and trying to use Google Translate without paying for it since my monthly GT invoices are sometimes bigger than I'd wish. Still very small (between $10 and $20), but quite a lot if the same thing can be obtained for free.

Michael

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Microsoft translator Oct 25, 2016

@Micheal,

Do you need to use Google at all? I ran both Google and Microsoft for a while (albeit some years back) and noticed few differences. Both have uploaded the entire accessible EU corpora, as far as I know, which produces the only really valuable MT in my experience. I have now discontinued Google and use Microsoft MT for free, I believe (though I hardly look at it unless for EU-related content).

Olly

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I do. I use both Oct 25, 2016

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

@Micheal,

Do you need to use Google at all? I ran both Google and Microsoft for a while (albeit some years back) and noticed few differences. Both have uploaded the entire accessible EU corpora, as far as I know, which produces the only really valuable MT in my experience. I have now discontinued Google and use Microsoft MT for free, I believe (though I hardly look at it unless for EU-related content).

Olly

I always like to have both available (and in view), so I can pick and choose as I please. In my experience, GT is almost always better, although Microsoft Translator is sometimes also very good, in specific scenarios.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does MyMemory plugin use Google Translate / Microsoft Translator, and if so why's it free?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »