Off topic: Mis-translations and cross-cultural howlers
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Sonia Rowland
Sonia Rowland
Germany
Local time: 15:42
German to English
Happiness is... Jan 31, 2003

Also in Germany I discovered a toilet paper brand called \"Happy End\"! Makes you wonder, doesn\'t it?

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:42
German to English
+ ...
All it takes is confidence... Jan 31, 2003

Many years ago, I did student holiday work in a German factory. For the medical, I was asked if I wanted the doctor to speak English or German. I chose English and have always been glad I did: \"Inspirate hardly! Expirate hardly!\"

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:42
English to Turkish
+ ...
disastrous movie translations Jan 31, 2003

4-5 years ago I did the editing of dubbing translations of movies and converted them into subtitle format. Here are some disasters I can never forget.

Movie: Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, Uma Thurman

The cowgirls gather pejote cactus (which has narcotic effects) and feed the cactus meat to cranes who then prefer to fly high on the ground. The \"translator\" sees the explanation of pejote in the script and the latin name is given which is Lophophora williamsü. After doing som
... See more
4-5 years ago I did the editing of dubbing translations of movies and converted them into subtitle format. Here are some disasters I can never forget.

Movie: Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, Uma Thurman

The cowgirls gather pejote cactus (which has narcotic effects) and feed the cactus meat to cranes who then prefer to fly high on the ground. The \"translator\" sees the explanation of pejote in the script and the latin name is given which is Lophophora williamsü. After doing some thinking he/she translates pejote as leopard and pejote as leopard meat!! Since the movie was being broadcast in the dubbed version and pejote appeared at at least 40 scenes in the movie we had to redo the dubbing.

Movie Hannibal

Somehow the \"translator\" decided to translate Hannibal the Cannibal as Hannibal the Vegetarian.
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Stupid Feb 1, 2003

When I first moved to France, I was riding my horse past a farm where the farmer was standing in the doorway. My mare was shying at his chickens wandering about on the road and I was having trouble getting her to go forward.

\"Oh, come on, don\'t be stupid\" I said to her.

The man went inside and I heard him say to his wife, \"I know what the English woman\'s horse is called: it\'s called Stupid!\"

Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:42
Member (2004)
French to English
2 more examples Feb 5, 2003

Years ago someone gave me this little item which apparently appeared in the Toronto Star:

\"An English-language driver\'s manual in Italy gives this advice on dealing with pedestrians: \'When a passenger on the hoof hove in sight, tootle the horn, trumpet him, melodiously at first. If she still obstacle you passage, tootle him with vigor and vim, expressing by words of mouth in warning.\'

\"And a tourist guide to the island of Capri offers this introduc
... See more
Years ago someone gave me this little item which apparently appeared in the Toronto Star:

\"An English-language driver\'s manual in Italy gives this advice on dealing with pedestrians: \'When a passenger on the hoof hove in sight, tootle the horn, trumpet him, melodiously at first. If she still obstacle you passage, tootle him with vigor and vim, expressing by words of mouth in warning.\'

\"And a tourist guide to the island of Capri offers this introduction: \'We hope this little book will be really insinuating, in the proper sense of the word. It weighs nothing and has no pretences, and we hope it will be kept in the handbag of elegant ladies and in the wallet of their husbands, on the desk of the important business man or in the cigarette case of the young snob.\'\"

I have no idea if these are genuine but I love the part about \"tootle him with vigor and vim!\"

Collapse

Melinda Reidinger
Melinda Reidinger
Czech Republic
Czech to English
Clean up that Crap! Feb 8, 2003

Outside a Japanese cafe, I saw that their daily dessert special was \"Fruit Crap\" -- crepes!

If you need to wash some fruit crap off your dishes, I recommend you use the Czech dish soap called Colon.

Nicole Tata
Nicole Tata
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
English to German
+ ...
Fancy a coffee? Feb 8, 2003

And then there’s the German for weak or ersatz coffee: Muckefuck!

Check it in the Duden if you don’t believe me…))

Maria Riegger (X)
Maria Riegger (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Menus ... Feb 10, 2003

I always like to look at the translated menus whenever we go out to eat, and the last time I was in Budapest I was surprised at the English translation for their grilled chicken entrée:

\"suddenly slightly grilled over lice goals.\"

Thanks but no thanks!!

Maria Riegger (X)
Maria Riegger (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
:PP Feb 10, 2003

I just noticed that I posted the same message twice because I didn\'t see the first one!!

Olivier Vasseur
Olivier Vasseur  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
the Godfather Oct 11, 2003

in one of the Godfather films (I can't remember which), one of the characters, who has just killed his brother, says: "I killed my mother's son, I killed my father's". The french translator mistook the possessive for a plural ("I killed my fathers") and translated accordingly.

danya
danya
Local time: 17:42
English to Russian
+ ...
CONspiracy of Frenchmen Oct 17, 2003

my students at the Uni screamed of laughter and refused to read aloud O'Henry's story. One of the characters was called Con O'Lantry.
The first language the girls studied was French, and they read the name as {Kong}. Afterwards they told me it means "male member" in French. It made my day
But then I asked them, what they would think of King Kong then. It made theirs.

PS how do they say in the US, for examp
... See more
my students at the Uni screamed of laughter and refused to read aloud O'Henry's story. One of the characters was called Con O'Lantry.
The first language the girls studied was French, and they read the name as {Kong}. Afterwards they told me it means "male member" in French. It made my day

PS how do they say in the US, for example, "Dick Chaney" and not laugh?
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
English to French
Errr Oct 19, 2003

danya wrote:

PS how do they say in the US, for example, "Dick Chaney" and not laugh?

I am afraid the "problem" is not founded. {Kong} does not refer to the "male member" in French. It's not even a word in French.
"con" mean "stupid", or "asshole", or although rarely used, refers to the *feminine* intimate anatomy.

You have been taken for a ride on that one.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
German toilet paper again Jan 15, 2004

Re-opening this thread after nearly a year to report something else about German toilet paper, which already has three or four posts here. Maybe the subject is worth a topic of its own.

The following is from http://www.proz.com/glossary/612040

I need an all-encompassing term that includes restaurants, cafes, diners, etc. What I'm translating is quite funny. It's a small broc
... See more
Re-opening this thread after nearly a year to report something else about German toilet paper, which already has three or four posts here. Maybe the subject is worth a topic of its own.

The following is from http://www.proz.com/glossary/612040

I need an all-encompassing term that includes restaurants, cafes, diners, etc. What I'm translating is quite funny. It's a small brochure of an advertising company in Germany that offers ads in toilet papers! They claim that because of the high "contact numbers" (contact between human and paper), they can guarantee a high degree of exposure...or in their case, eye-to-skin contact.
Collapse

Martina Silpoch
Martina Silpoch  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:42
English to Czech
+ ...
Public transport Jan 16, 2004

Few years ago I saw signs in trams and buses in Plzen, Czech republic,translated into English, right next to their original.
They read:
The passenger is in duty bound to mark his ticket by the getting in to the vehicle.
The passenger is in duty bound in ride to fast holding.
We all sure had a problem holding it!

Amancio Iglesias
Amancio Iglesias
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 Spanish bits Jan 16, 2004

There was a drink, an alcohol free bitter drink that was called Bitter Sin, and so it was advertised all over.

Also, restaurants that use Babelfish to translate their menus get absolutely disaster translations.

For example, pollo con pasas was called "chicken with you happen" in a restaurant near my town. It is actually chicken with raisins, and it tastes really nice, by the way!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mis-translations and cross-cultural howlers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »